updated on May 15th, 2019
Iran India realisation past in brief
- Iran and India have a long history from time immortals of Indus Valley civilization.
- but in modern times, Non-Aligned India was a pro-Soviet union and the erstwhile Imperial State of Iran had Ston Links with The United States of America during the Cold war.
- Iran also supported Pakistan, countering India’s strong ties with Iraq (Iran’s enemy)
- But now Iran and India supported the Northern Alliance in Afghanistan against the Taliban.
- In 2002, Iran and India signed the Defence cooperation agreement.
Iran as an Oil supplier
- before economic sanctions, India has been one of the largest buyers of crude Oil from Iran.
- we also sell, refined diesel to Iran
- On 1 May 2019, America has put complete sanction on buying crude Oil from Iran.
- America is also unhappy as Iran is selling crude oil to Turkey
- Asian Clearing Union( Clearinghouse for South Asian Countries ) is Under pressure from the USA to not to allow trading of Iranian Oil.
- India has also invested in the Iranian Oil Industry,
Geographical Position of Iran and Chabahar Port
- Chabahar port is India’s gateway to Afghanistan and Central Asia.
- Iran and India are developing the Chabahar port together. India has invested around 20 million dollars
- China is developing Gwadar port in Pakistan, so this is India’s counter step against China’s development of Gwadar port.
Iran India and Pakistan
- Iran has been quite vocal about its support to Pakistan on issue of Kashmir
- But , Iran has good relationship with both India and Pakistan , so it can be instrumental in dialogue between india and Pakistan on Kashmir
Iran India soft power
- The Shia community in India, find solace in the clergy government of Tehran
- India has a substantial Shia population who are better off in practising there religious rights like, holiday on Muharram, state holiday on Ali day etc . so this act as a soft power when Indian Shia visit Iran
PM Modi visit in 2016
- Prime minister Narendra Modi paid an official visit to Iran.
- The visit focused on bilateral connectivity and infrastructure, an energy partnership, and trade.
Hindi video on Iran India relations in Hindi